1 Kings 11-12
1 Kings chapter 11, Solomon’s wives and concubines. In his old age they draw him to idolatry. God threatens him. Solomon’s adversaries were Hadad, who was entertained in Egypt; Rezon, who reigned in Damascus; and Jeroboam, to whom Ahijah prophesied. Solomon’s acts, reign, and death. Rehoboam succeeds him.
1 Kings chapter 12, The Israelites, assembled at Shechem to crown Rehoboam, by Jeroboam make a suit of relaxation unto him. Rehoboam, refusing the old men’s counsel, answers them roughly. Ten tribes revolting, kill Adoram, and make Rehoboam flee. Rehoboam, raising an army, is forbidden by Shemaiah. Jeroboam strengthens himself by cities; and by the idolatry of the two calves.
Insights and Prayers
- Lord, Solomon was a sex addict! Keep me from illegal sex, keep me from addiction.
- May I find my greatest love in You.
- I give You first place in my life.
- Sit on the throne of my life and rule me from the inside out. Amen.
- Lord, help me to listen to the advice of older people
- Lord, please give me the wisdom of the elders, and I will always measure it by the Word of God before I follow any advice. Amen.
- Bible Summary – Adapted from The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge by R. A. Torrey
- Insights and Prayers – Adapted from The Prayer Bible