Judges chapter 13, Israel is delivered into the hands of Philistines. An angel appears to Manoah’s wife. The angel appears to Manoah. Manoah’s sacrifices, whereby the angel is discovered. Samson is born.
Judges chapter 14, Samson desires a wife of the Philistines. In his journey he kills a lion. In a second journey he finds honey in the carcase. Samson’s marriage feast. His riddle by his wife is made known. He spoils thirty Philistines. His wife is married to another.
Judges chapter 15, Samson is denied his wife. He burns the Philistines’ corn with foxes and firebrands. His wife and her father are burnt by the Philistines. Samson smites them hip and thigh. He is bound by the men of Judah, and delivered to the Philistines. He kills them with a jawbone. God makes the fountain En-hakkore for him in Lehi.
Insights and Prayers
- Lord, may I follow You as carefully as the Nazarites mentioned in Scripture.
- I will abstain from alcohol, unclean activities, and unwholesome things.
- Thank You for the Holy Spirit that works in your children to prepare them for Your service.
- Thank You for preparing me to serve You. Amen.
- Lord, outward anger comes from lack of inward self-control.
- This is a strange mixture of outward “righteous indignation” and fleshly desires.
- Just as You used Samson who was not perfect, use me; I am not perfect. Amen.
- Lord, teach me the principle that a solitary individual with limited resources can be influential for You against the crowd, when that individual is filled with the Spirit of God.
- Remind me that when I take a stand for You, many compromising believers will not stand with me, and they may even turn against me.
- You use ordinary little tools to get Your work done, tools like a donkey’s jawbone, so use the little things in my life. Amen.
- Bible Summary – Adapted from The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge by R. A. Torrey
- Insights and Prayers – Adapted from The Prayer Bible