Judges chapter 8, Gideon pacifies the Ephraimites. Succoth and Penuel refuse to deliver Gideon’s army. Zebah and Zalmunna are taken. Succoth and Penuel are destroyed. Gideon revenges his brethren’s death on Zebah and Zalmunna. He refuses government. His ephod the cause of idolatry. Midian subdued. Gideon’s children, and death. The Israelites’ idolatry and ingratitude.
Judges chapter 9, Abimelech by conspiracy with the Shechemites, and murder of his brethren, is made king. Jotham by a parable rebukes them, and foretells their ruin. Gaal conspires with the Shechemites against him. Zebul reveals it. Abimelech overcomes them, and sows the city with salt. He burns the hold of the god Berith. At Thebez he is slain by a piece of a millstone. Jotham’s curse if fulfilled.
Insights and Prayers
- Lord, teach me to be as wise as Gideon, to emphasize what others did and minimize what I do.
- Help me always to do right and never be afraid of reprisals.
- Life is serious and sin has consequences.
- Teach me to be thorough in separating myself from sin. Amen.
- Lord, You include the evil done by men in Your book to show us that You use evil to punish evil.
- I will live righteously. Amen.
- Bible Summary – Adapted from The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge by R. A. Torrey
- Insights and Prayers – Adapted from The Prayer Bible