2 Corinthians 8-10
2 Corinthians chapter 8, He stirs them up to a liberal contribution for the poor saints at Jerusalem, by the example of the Macedonians; by commendation of their former forwardness; by the example of Christ; and by the spiritual profit that shall redound to themselves thereby; commending to them the integrity and willingness of Titus, and those other brethren, who upon his request, exhortation, and commendation, were purposely come to them for this business.
2 Corinthians chapter 9, He yields the reason why, though he knew their forwardness, yet he sent Titus and his brethren beforehand. And he proceeds in stirring them up to a bountiful alms, as being but a kind of sowing of seed, which shall return a great increase to them, and occasion a great sacrifice of thanksgivings unto God.
2 Corinthians chapter 10, Against the false apostles, who disgraced the weakness of his person and bodily presence, he shows the spiritual might and authority with which he was armed against all adverse powers; assuring them that at his coming he will be found as mighty in word as he is now in writing, being absent; and withal taxing them for reaching out themselves beyond their compass, and vaunting themselves of other men’s labours.
Insights and Prayers
- Lord, teach me the proper ways to give my time, talent, and treasure to You. Take the gifts I offer and use them for Your glory. Amen.
- Lord, thank You for the privilege of serving with other believers who encourage and motivate me to greater service. Bless them as they have blessed me. Use us together in Your work. Amen.
- Paul says our harvest will be according to our planting or investment. Therefore we must:
- (1) pray for big results;
- (2) plan for big results;
- (3) work for big results; and
- (4) trust God to bless our endeavors according to our “seed planting” or investment.
- Lord, give me faith to believe great results for the investment of my time, talent, or treasures. Amen.
- Lord, the enemy is stronger than I am, and his weapons are stronger than I naturally have. I need help or I’ll be overwhelmed and defeated. I will use Your weapons and I will intercede against the enemy. I pray for victory by the Holy Spirit. Amen.
- Bible Summary – Adapted from The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge by R. A. Torrey
- Insights and Prayers – Adapted from The Prayer Bible