John chapter 13, Jesus washes the disciples’ feet, and exhorts them to humility and charity. He foretells and discovers to John by a token, that Judas should betray him; commands them to love one another; and forewarns Peter of his denials.
John chapter 14, Christ comforts his disciples with the hope of heaven; professes himself the way, the truth, and the life, and one with the Father; assures their prayers to be effectual; requires obedience; promises the Comforter; and leaves his peace with them.
John chapter 15, The union of Christ and his members shown under the parable of a vine. The hatred of the world. The office of the Holy Ghost.
Insights and Prayers
- Lord, just as Jesus washed the feet of His followers, help me to be humble and serve others, so that I may follow Your example. I want to be humble as You are. Amen.
- Lord, may I never betray You with any deeds, thoughts, or attitudes. Amen.
- Lord, I have difficulty loving some people. It’s my old proud ego. Forgive my sin and remind me of Your love for me. You love everyone in the whole world and died for them. So take control of my heart and love others through me. Amen.
- Lord, You said You’d come back to take me where You are. That’s what I want. I want to live with You in heaven for all eternity. Amen.
- Lord, I come in the name of Jesus to ask my request. You said You would do it if I asked in Your name. I ask in Your name because You’re in my heart and because Your blood has cleansed me and given me access to the Father; and because You’re my intercessor. Amen.
- Jesus promised two things:
- first, He would come to live within our hearts when we are saved (our possession). We have the life of Jesus in us;
- second, we would be placed in Jesus in heaven (our position). We can be as close to the heavenly Father as Jesus, and in Him we get our prayers answered. That means Jesus is our intercessor.
- Lord, I have new life because I have Your life in me. But I also live in You, as You are seated at the right hand of the Father in heaven. Amen.
- Lord, I need the Holy Spirit to help me learn Scripture and to remember the things You said in Your Word. Amen.
- Jesus did supernatural miracles such as healing a leper and raising the dead. What could be greater than these miracles? A soul saved for all eternity is greater in an insurmountable measure. Because Jesus went to the Father, we can lead people to Christ.
- Lord, I want to be a soul-winner. Give me a desire to win people to Christ, then help me use every opportunity possible to do it. Amen.
- Lord, I want to produce more fruit in my Christian life, and more fruit in my service. I want to abide in You so I can be fruitful. Amen.
- Jesus promised if we would abide in His Word, our prayers would be answered. That means we live and ask according to Scripture to get our prayers answered.
- Lord, I will abide in the Word and let it control my life so I can get answers from You. Amen.
- Bible Summary – Adapted from The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge by R. A. Torrey
- Insights and Prayers – Adapted from The Prayer Bible