Psalms chapter 36, The grievous estate of the wicked. The excellency of God’s mercy. David prays for favour to God’s children.
Psalms chapter 37, David persuades to patience and confidence in God, by the different estate of the godly and the wicked.
Psalms chapter 38, David moves God to take compassion on his pitiful case.
Psalms chapter 39, David’s care of this thoughts. The consideration of the brevity and vanity of life; the reverence of God’s judgments, and prayer, are his bridles of impatience.
Psalms chapter 40, The benefit of confidence in God. Obedience is the best sacrifice. The sense of David’s evils inflames his prayer.
Insights and Prayers
- Lord, I know the wicked reject You in their hearts because they love sin. They can’t please You because their hearts won’t let them. Yet Your constant love reaches out to those who seek You.
- You let people do as they please. But sinning does not please me, it pleases me to obey You. Amen.
- Lord, there are many evil doers in this world. But I won’t let them upset me, because I trust You to protect me from them.
- They will die, but You will bless those who obey You. I delight in serving You, so I dwell securely in Your presence. Amen.
- Sometimes God allows His people to suffer pain, knowing it will drive them back to Him. God is too loving to hurt us, but He sees the larger picture.
- He knows we don’t like pain, but suffering will drive us to follow Him. Lord, I’m hurting because of my rebellion. I am in pain. I cry all the time, and I ache both in body and soul. I’m now getting worse, not better.
- Forgive me my sin; I repent and come back to You.
- Cleanse me from every sin, and bless me with Your presence. Amen.
- Lord, help me understand what’s happening to me, and help me know my heart.
- May I use my time wisely, and may I find Your will for my life.
- Guide every thought I think and guide every step I take. If I follow You in every step, then my path will be right. Amen.
- We all have difficulties, and these situations are different than when we sin or we walk away from God.
- Difficulties are the stones on the path that hurt our feet, or emergencies that need our attention, or mistakes that hurt, or failures that distract.
- Lord, hear me when I have trouble and help me out of my difficulty.
- Deliver me from the evil one and don’t let me get too close to temptation. Put a song in my heart. Amen.
- Bible Summary – Adapted from The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge by R. A. Torrey
- Insights and Prayers – Adapted from The Prayer Bible