2 Kings 10-12
2 Kings chapter 10, Jehu, by his letters, causes seventy of Ahab’s children to be beheaded. He excuses the fact by the prophecy of Elijah. At the shearing house he slays two and forty of Ahaziah’s brethren. He takes Jehonadab into his company. By subtilty he destroys all the worshippers of Baal. Jehu follows Jeroboam’s sins. Hazael oppresses Israel. Jehoahaz succeeds Jehu.
2 Kings chapter 11, Jehoash, being saved by Jehosheba his aunt from Athaliah’s massacre of the seed royal, is hid six years in the house of God. Jehoiada, giving order to the captains, in the seventh year anoints him king. Athaliah is slain. Jehoiada restores the worship of God.
2 Kings chapter 12, Jehoash reigns well all the days of Jehoiada. He gives order for the repair of the temple. Hazael is diverted from Jerusalem by a present of the hallowed treasures. Jehoash being slain, Amaziah succeeds him.
Insights and Prayers
- Lord, I will obey outwardly, as did Jehu.
- My obedience will also come from the heart. I worship You. Amen.
- Lord, I thank You for Jehosheba who changed history.
- In a small way, I can change history.
- Lord, thank You for Jehoiada the high priest who changed history. Use me in the same way. Amen.
- Lord, I want to be like those carpenters and stone cutters who could be trusted.
- I commit myself to honesty.
- Use me in Your work. Amen.
- Bible Summary – Adapted from The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge by R. A. Torrey
- Insights and Prayers – Adapted from The Prayer Bible