2 Kings 1-3
2 Kings chapter 1, Moab rebels. Ahaziah, sending to Baal-zebub, hath his judgment by Elijah. Elijah twice brings fire from heaven upon them whom Ahaziah sent to apprehend him. He pities the third captain, and, encouraged by an angel, tells the king of his death. Jehoram succeeds Ahaziah.
2 Kings chapter 2, Elijah, taking his leave of Elisha, with his mantle divides Jordan; and, granting Elisha his request, is taken up by a fiery chariot into heaven. Elisha, dividing Jordan with Elijah’s mantle, is acknowledged his successor. The young prophets, hardly obtaining leave to seek Elijah, cannot find him. Elisha with salt heals the unwholesome waters. Bears destroy the children that mocked Elisha.
2 Kings chapter 3, Jehoram’s reign. Mesha rebels. Jehoram, with Jehoshaphat, and the king of Edom, being distressed for want of water, by Elisha obtains water, and promise of victory. The Moabites, deceived by the colour of the water, coming to spoil, are overcome. The king of Moab, failing in his attempt to break through to the king of Edom, sacrifices his son, and raises the siege.
Insights and Prayers
- Lord, if I’m spiritually blinded to anything like an idol in my life, please reveal it to me.
- I will repent and put it out of my life.
- I will worship You alone.
- I will follow and serve You alone. Amen.
- Lord, I want to experience Your presence when You manifest Yourself among Your people.
- Since I don’t know what will happen, I’ll always be in church because You command it (Heb. 10:25) and You promise to be there (Matt. 18:20).
- I want to have the faith of Elisha-give me a double portion.
- I will pay the price. Amen.
- Lord, give me Your eyes to see my problems.
- Lord, give me faith to obey Your commands.
- Lord, give me courage to “dig holes.”
- And help me do it quickly before the water passes me by. Amen.
- Bible Summary – Adapted from The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge by R. A. Torrey
- Insights and Prayers – Adapted from The Prayer Bible