1 Kings 20-22
1 Kings chapter 20, Ben-hadad, not content with Ahab’s homage, besieges Samaria. By the direction of a prophet, the Syrians are slain. As the prophet forewarned Ahab, the Syrians, trusting in the valleys, come against him in Aphek. By the word of the prophet, and God’s judgment, the Syrians are smitten again. The Syrians submitting themselves, Ahab sends Ben-hadad away with a covenant. The prophet, under the parable of a prisoner, making Ahab judge himself, denounces God’s judgment against him.
1 Kings chapter 21, Ahab being denied Naboth’s vineyard, is grieved. Jezebel writing letters against Naboth, he is condemned of blasphemy. Ahab take possession of the vineyard. Elijah denounces judgments against Ahab and Jezebel. Wicked Ahab repenting, God defers the judgment.
1 Kings chapter 22, Ahab, seduced by false prophets, according to the word of Micaiah, is slain at Ramoth-gilead. The dogs lick up his blood, and Ahaziah succeeds him. Jehoshaphat’s good reign. His acts. Jehoram succeeds him. Ahaziah’s evil reign.
Insights and Prayers
- Lord, You are my strength and wisdom.
- I know I win battles in Your strength and with Your guidance.
- Thank You for Your presence in my life.
- I do not boast in myself; I glory in Your protection. Amen.
- Lord, there are false prophets in my world, just as false prophets deceived King Ahab.
- I will judge them by the Word of God.
- Not every preacher who claims to be a Christian actually speaks the truth.
- Help me see things from Your perspective of time.
- While You wait patiently to judge sin, I’m impatient.
- Lord, open my eyes to see as You see. Amen.
- Bible Summary – Adapted from The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge by R. A. Torrey
- Insights and Prayers – Adapted from The Prayer Bible