1 Kings 13-14
1 Kings chapter 13, Jeroboam’s hand withers, and at the prayer of the prophet is restored. The prophet departs from Beth-el. An old prophet brings him back. He is reproved by God, slain by a lion, buried by the old prophet, who confirms his prophecy. Jeroboam’s obstinacy.
1 Kings chapter 14, Abijah being sick, Jeroboam sends his wife, disguised, with presents to the prophet Ahijah at Shiloh. Ahijah, forewarned by God, denounces God’s judgment. Abijah dies, and is buried. Nadab succeeds Jeroboam. Rehoboam’s wicked reign. Shishak spoils Jerusalem. Abijam succeeds Rehoboam.
Insights and Prayers
- Lord, I know there are lying prophets in the world.
- Give me wisdom to discern who they are and courage to not let them influence my life.
- I know the devil as a roaring lion walks about trying to eat me up (see 1 Peter. 5:8).
- Protect me when I am defenseless.
- Enlighten me when I am wrong. Empower me to stand against my enemy (1 John 4:4). Amen.
- Lord, I will faithfully tell others what You say in the Bible. Amen.
- Bible Summary – Adapted from The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge by R. A. Torrey
- Insights and Prayers – Adapted from The Prayer Bible