Today’s bible reading: John 10, 11 and 12
If the bible can be likened to food, because it nourishes our spiritual lives, then prayer can be likened to our breathing. There are two parts to breathing, breath-in and breath-out. So it is with prayer – the outreach to God, and his response to us.
The person who said, “I can’t find time to pray”, was correct; you must make time for it. A good way is to do it along with your bible reading, in fact, some people read their bibles on their knees; and then if some truth grips their hearts, they stop a few moments and pray about it. Having a consistent prayer life will make you strong, mature Christian.
What to pray about
This is one of the first problems you’ll meet. You think of your family, your friends, your associates, and your own need’s and in five minutes you’ve run out of subjects matters.
One way to solve this problem is to channel your prayer into certain directions, a different direction each day.
Kinds of prayer
Another solution to the problem of what to pray about is to recognize that there are several types of prayer. Basically, it is simply talking to God.
This means asking God to meet certain needs. Though some people never progress beyond the “give me” stage, always asking God for something, there is nothing wrong with asking the Lord for his help. In fact, He encourages us to come with our needs.
Remember, prayer is a two-way process. Don’t forget to thank God for what He has already done for you.
This is something like thanksgiving but deals with what God is instead of what He has done. Sometimes you can use one of the Psalms, reading it aloud to express how you feel.
Worship is very close to praise, but is almost an attitude. There will be times when words cannot fully express your feelings and you can only say praise words like ‘glory’ or ‘hallelujah’. You may even become silent as you kneel or sit, overwhelmed at the sense of how great God is.
You may become gripped with needs of someone else and feel burdened to keep on praying until you have assurance that God has answered your prayer, for in it you are thinking of others. We need more of this kind of prayer.
How God answers
This is an important lesson to learn. God answers every prayer. Sometimes He says, “yes”, sometimes he says, “no”, and often He says, “wait”. But time spent in prayer is never wasted. You see, even more than what He does for you, God is interested in what He can do in you. Prayer changes things, including people.
Praying in public
Sooner or later, someone will call on you to lead out in prayer. Don’t panic. Simply remember that you’re praying to the lord, not to the people. Pray as a representative of the group and express what you feel are their general desires in that meeting. Don’t worry about using the right words.
Some prayer promises
- I am ready to perform My Word. – Jeremiah 1:12
- Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full. John 16:24
- …whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive. Matthew 21:22
- Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things… Jeremiah 33:3
- If you ask anything in my name, I will do it. John 14:14
- …whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you. John 16:23
- The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. James 5:16
- You will make your prayer to Him, He will hear you… Job 22:27
- Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 1John 5:14
- And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him. 1John 5:15
- And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. John 14:13
- So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:11
- If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. John 15:7
- Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Matthew 18:18
- Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. Matthew 18:19
- You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. John 15:16
- Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. Jeremiah 29:12
- It shall come to pass that before they call, I will answer, and while they are speaking I will hear. Isaiah 65:24
- He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him. Psalm 91:15
- Let my prayer be set before You as incense, the lifting of my hands as the evening sacrifice. Psalm 141:2
- You shall make your prayer to Him, and He shall hear you, and you shall pay your vows. Job 22:27
- He shall call on Me, and I will answer Him; I will be with Him in trouble; I will deliver Him, and honor Him. Psalms 91:15
- Let my prayer be set forth before You as incense, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice. Psalms 141:2
- So shall My word be, which goes out of My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall certainly do what I sent it to do. Isaiah 55:11
- And it will be, before they call I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear. Isaiah 65:24
- And the LORD said to me, You have seen well; for I will watch over My word to perform it. Jeremiah 1:12
- Then you shall call on Me, and you shall go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. Jeremiah 29:12
- Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and inscrutable things which you do not know. Jeremiah 33:3
- Truly I say to you, Whatever you shall bind on earth shall occur, having been bound in Heaven; and whatever you shall loose on earth shall occur, having been loosed in Heaven. Again I say to you that if two of you shall agree on earth as regarding anything that they shall ask, it shall be done for them by My Father in Heaven. Matthew 18:18-19
- And all things, whatever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive. Matthew 21:22
- And whatever you may ask in My name, that I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it. John 14:13-14
- If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you shall ask what you will, and it shall be done to you. John 15:7
- You have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you and ordained you that you should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain; that whatever you shall ask of the Father in My name, He may give it to you. John 15:16
- And in that day you shall ask Me nothing. Truly, truly, I say to you, Whatever you shall ask the Father in My name, He will give you. Before now you have asked nothing in My name; ask and you shall receive, that your joy may be full. John 16:23-24
- Confess faults to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous one avails much. James 5:16
- And this is the confidence that we have toward Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him. 1 John 5:14-15
Bible studies for the day
John 10:11. Who is the good shepherd?
John 10:15. What has Jesus done for the sheep?
John 11:27 who did Martha say Jesus is?
John 11:40 what is needed in order to see gods glory?
John 11:42 how often did the father hear Jesus’ prayer?
John 12:32 what did Jesus mean by ‘lifted up’?
Verses to memorize:
John 10:9; 10:10; 11:25-26; 11:40; 12:25; 12:32